[SciPy-dev] alternate .flags interface

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Oct 31 12:22:30 EST 2005

Fernando Perez wrote:

>Perry Greenfield wrote:
>

>>I'm wondering if the current flags interface couldn't be made a bit
>>easier to use to allow mapping of dictionary keys in to attributes. For
>>example:
>>
>>instead of arr.flags["CONTIGUOUS"]
>>
>>arr.flags.contiguous
>>
>>If using a dictionary is considered useful (e.g., for getting the whole
>>state, it is still possible to allow arr.flags to return a dictionary
>>derived object that can be used wherever dictionaries are accepted, and
>>likewise, assigning to arr.flags should be able to take a dictionary of
>>flags. Any reason we can't support this interface?
>>

>Mmh.  What happens when you say
>
>arr.flags.update = 1
>
>and then pass arr.flags to a dict-expecting method which calls
>
>arr.flags.update(otherdict)

I'm not sure I follow what the problem is. Is there an update flag?

First of all, arr.flags already returns a special dictionary (so that
tests like Fortran but not contiguous are easy).

If you want to use attribute access to get and set the dictionary items,
I don't see how that couldn't be done.

-Travis