[SciPy-dev] IPython updated (Emacs works now)

Fernando Pérez fperez at pizero.colorado.edu
Tue Feb 19 03:43:01 EST 2002

Hi everyone,

there's a new release of IPython at the usual
http://www-hep.colorado.edu/~fperez/ipython/ for your testing pleasure.

Of particular interest (for Travis, at least) is that things now work inside
an Emacs (at least my Xemacs) buffer. The problem turned out to be a series
of ugly interactions with curses and readline. The morale is, *never* use
either of those modules in a python program which will try to run inside an
Emacs buffer. It was kind of a PITA to track down.

But now there's workarounds everywhere which check if the terminal is 'emacs'
and try their best to make things work. Please let me know how this goes.

I've been going back and forth with Eric and there seems to be some interest
in using IPython, so I'm open to comments from all.

Best regards,

Fernando.