[SciPy-dev] Restructuring of Chaco/Kiva/FreeType into SciPy

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue Dec 17 22:22:08 EST 2002

hi,

    DCM> We are looking at restructuring the Chaco/Kiva projects so
    DCM> that they are contained within the overall SciPy source
    DCM> hierarchy.  In particular, the changes being considered are:
    DCM> - Move Chaco from the top level of CVS to SciPy - Move Kiva
    DCM> from the top level of CVS to SciPy - Move FreeType from
    DCM> inside of Kiva to SciPy

Sounds good.

[snip]

    DCM> I'm hoping that any CVS wizards out there can suggest the
    DCM> best way to do this, without creating any more CVS gunk
    DCM> (Attic files, etc.) than necessary. For example, could we
    DCM> simply move directories around? What are the pros and cons of
    DCM> doing that versus a large number of add/delete operations?

Not a wizard (yet) but I need to do this for MayaVi and have looked at
a few options.

 1. You can move the RCS files inside Chaco's CVS repository into the
 Scipy directory.  This is discussed in the cvs info pages inside
 starting a new project -> setting up the files -> from other revision

 I think this is a decent option.  This option requires direct access
 to the CVS rep. and needs to be done with some care.  I'd recommend a
 backup of CVS before you begin.

 2. The second option is to do add/removes which will destroy your
 history when the file is inside scipy and all the old files in chaco
 will be in the attic.  Pain.

I think option 1 is the best bet since you have access to the CVS
repository.

cheers,
prabhu