[SciPy-dev] Restructuring of Chaco/Kiva/FreeType into SciPy

Pearu Peterson pearu at cens.ioc.ee
Wed Dec 18 05:17:37 EST 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, David C. Morrill wrote:

> We are looking at restructuring the Chaco/Kiva projects so that they
> are contained within the overall SciPy source hierarchy.
>
> In particular, the changes being considered are:
>    - Move Chaco from the top level of CVS to SciPy
>   -  Move Kiva from the top level of CVS to SciPy
>    - Move FreeType from inside of Kiva to SciPy
>
> There will also be corresponding changes made to various 'setup.py'
> and 'setup_xxx.py' scripts to support building Chaco/Kiva as part of
> SciPy, and also to allow them to be built stand-alone, apart from the
> rest of SciPy.

I suggest keeping only one setup script, 'setup_xxx.py', per module.

> I'm hoping that any CVS wizards out there can suggest the best way to
> do this, without creating any more CVS gunk (Attic files, etc.) than
> necessary. For example, could we simply move directories around? What
> are the pros and cons of doing that versus a large number of
> add/delete operations?

Moving CVS directories is discussed in

  http://www.gnu.org/manual/cvs-1.9/html_node/cvs_69.html

But how desired is that one can retrive older versions of these modules?

It seems that after renaming CVS directories, one looses their commit
history (in the sense of the last sentence in the above link, though
with some hacking on CVSROOT/history file (e.g. changing world/chaco
to world/scipy/chaco) it should be possible to preserve the commit
history, but that is theoretically, I have never done that myself nor do
not know if anyone else have tried that).

Safer approach would be to commit chaco, kiva, freetype modules to SciPy
as new modules while still keeping original chaco and kiva CVS
repositories, but only in read-only mode so that one can still see the
commit history for references.
And later on, when the original chaco and kiva CVS repositories are not
used/needed anymore, they can be simply removed or archived (though, this
will save only 20MB of disk space).

Another question: Do you want to move chaco, kiva, freetype modules before
or after releasing scipy-0.2?

Pearu