[SciPy-dev] Restructuring of Chaco/Kiva/FreeType into SciPy

David C. Morrill dmorrill at enthought.com
Tue Dec 17 16:52:00 EST 2002

We are looking at restructuring the Chaco/Kiva projects so that they are contained within the overall SciPy source hierarchy.

In particular, the changes being considered are:
   - Move Chaco from the top level of CVS to SciPy
  -  Move Kiva from the top level of CVS to SciPy
   - Move FreeType from inside of Kiva to SciPy

There will also be corresponding changes made to various 'setup.py' and 'setup_xxx.py' scripts to support building Chaco/Kiva as part of SciPy, and also to allow them to be built stand-alone, apart from the rest of SciPy.

I'm hoping that any CVS wizards out there can suggest the best way to do this, without creating any more CVS gunk (Attic files, etc.) than necessary. For example, could we simply move directories around? What are the pros and cons of doing that versus a large number of add/delete operations?

Thanks in advance for any guidance...

Dave Morrill