[Pythonmac-SIG] Using BBEdit as a python script editor

Russell E Owen owen@astro.washington.edu
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:38:56 -0700

I have two questions about using BBEdit as a python script editor:

1) The 1.5.2 distribution mentions a tool or BBEdit extension or
something for this, but I could not find it. Does it exist and if so,
does it work reliably?

2) A feature request or opinion: at present once one saves a script
as an applet, it can no longer be edited. This is a shame, as I write
a lot of file filters (scripts to process files in some way). It
appears that the efficient way to do this is write an applet and so
gain the use of argv, fileinput, etc. But it's a pain and even
dangerous because I can't get to the source once it's an applet.
(Dangerous because if I lose my copy of the source...).

In the Perl universe, MacPerl itself presents a similar problem -- it
cannot open Perl applets. But BBEdit comes to the rescue -- it can
edit Perl applets! Hence one can easily debug, modify and generally
tweak up scripts and only has to keep the one file around.

So...is this feature do-able for Python applets? What would it
require? I'd be happy to have either IDLE or BBEdit edit the scripts.
I am willing to do some work on this, but at the moment I haven't a
clue what's needed.

Regards,

-- Russell