[Pythonmac-SIG] diff/patch for MacOS?

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:52:02 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Joseph J. Strout wrote:

|Anybody know of diff/patch utilities for MacOS?
|
|I know this isn't strictly a MacPython question, but it is related since
|(1) I want it mainly to control changes to Python apps, and apply those
|patches people keep sending me, and (2) if I get frustrated and end up
|writing them myself, I'll do it in Python.  ;)

Joe -- I've used the 'compare' utility in the Alpha editor
interactively but I never tried patching with it, so I just
fired it up to see if there was a patch function.
 When I do a compare and the the compare output window is the front
active window, a 'diff' menu appears, which has, among other items:
  patch into left window
  patch into right window

In the Tools folder is a copy of "GNU Diff", which appears to implement
these functions. It seems to be a "headless" background app, because
just clicking on "GNU Diff" appears to start a process, which has no
menu and doesn't appear in the task bar. The only sign that it's
running is the visual clues on startup, and the fact that the icon
is greyed out.

There is a 'diff' mode which activates that menu, so if you open
up a patch file and a source file, you should be able to access
that option without doing a compare. ( Since it's based on GNU Diff,
I assume that it ought to work on any diff generated patch file. )

BBEdit might have similar functionality.

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---

    Caldera Open Linux: "Powerful and easy to use!" -- Microsoft(*)
     (*) <http://www.pathfinder.com/fortune/1999/03/01/mic.html>