[python-win32] urllib: host not given on windows 98

Haim Ashkenazi haim at babysnakes.org
Sun Jul 4 00:55:35 CEST 2004

Hi

I'm writing a script that should run on windows 98. I've installed a first
edition on vmware and everything went well. because the slowness of the
virtual machine I decided to dedicate a computer to it. I took a pentuim 3
and install the same system (win98 first edition no updates, everything
with default settings) and installed activestate python. now I'm getting
this strange error:

>>> import urllib

>>> f = urllib.URLopener()

>>> x = f.open('http://www.python.org')

Traceback (most recent call last):

    x = f.open('http://www.python.org')

  File "C:\PYTHON23\Lib\urllib.py", line 181, in open

    return getattr(self, name)(url)

  File "C:\PYTHON23\Lib\urllib.py", line 281, in open_http

    if not host: raise IOError, ('http error', 'no host given')

IOError: [Errno http error] no host given

of-course I can access the web from a browser without a problem. I'm not a
windows user (never was) and I really need help here. I've already
deleted the vmware installation, so I can't check for differences and I'm
completely in the dark. I've tried to install python from python.org and i
get the same error.

can anybody please, PLEASE, PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE help?

thanx
--
Haim