FILE * arguments in C API ??

Edward K. Ream edream at tds.net
Fri Jul 7 15:00:59 EDT 2000

I'm considering embedding the Python interpreter into a Windows app
built with Borland C++ Builder.  Naturally, I would prefer to use the
libraries in Python/libs rather than building the interpreter with C++
Builder, which would not be pleasant without Borland-specific make
files.

Alas, there appears to be a botch in the C API's.  In particular,
routines like

   int PyRun_AnyFile (FILE *fp, char *filename)

can not be included usefully in python/libs because struct FILE's will
be different when built by different compilers. This wouldn't matter if
it
were easy/possible to rebuild python/libs using one's own compiler.

Any comments?  Any suggestions?

Edward
Edward K. Ream   email:  edream at tds.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines