[Draft] Open Letter to CNRI: Request for clarification

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Jul 28 23:40:01 EDT 2000

Konrad Hinsen <hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr> wrote:
[snip]
> Looks like a good idea, count me in. Perhaps it would also help to
> add Python-based projects that are administrated by the people who
> sign the letter, to show that serious users are concerned and not
> just people who love signing open letters.

> And you can add me to the list, of course.

>> P.S.:
>> I find it rather startling that you see a need to change the license of
>> a software whose development already has moved away from your institution.

> I would rather not mention this issue. If the move to BeOpen is the
> reason for CNRI's prolonged legal fight, then it's better not to
> point it out again. And if it isn't, it's better not to suggest a
> new argument to them.

Agreed -- I'd remove the P.S. too. Without it add me to the list. Perhaps
add a bit more diplomatic stuffing, such as "Perhaps it was unclear that
this raises some concern in the community" and "Perhaps we missed the
official statement from CNRI", giving a bit more benefit of the doubt
is never bad. But this are just minor suggestions; excellent work!

Regards,

Martijn