Metadata for patches: how?

Guido van Rossum guido at beopen.com
Sat Aug 5 18:47:15 EDT 2000

David Goodger <dgoodger at bigfoot.com> writes:

> I've just submitted a couple of patches (my first) and I would like to
> include some commentary to point out certain areas. How is this done? Should
> I have included comments inside the patches themselves (I was loathe to do
> so, fearing the comments wouldn't be removed)? Or should I send email to
> somebody? (I've resisted the urge to send this to python-dev. Should I
> have?) Ideally there would be a more spacious comments/summary field on the
> submission form at SourceForge :>

It's okay to include comments in the patch file -- the patch program
ignores leading garbage and garbage between patches to different
files.

But I prefer it if you add an explicit comment to the patch after
submitting it: click on the patch in the "Open Patches" list to view
its details.  There's a big "Add A Comment" text box.  Just hit the
"SUBMIT" button when you're done.  It's recommended that you use a
SourceForge account for this, but AFAIK not required.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)