Metadata for patches: how?

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Aug 5 18:45:03 EDT 2000

David Goodger <dgoodger at bigfoot.com> writes:

> I've just submitted a couple of patches (my first) and I would like
> to include some commentary to point out certain areas. How is this
> done? Should I have included comments inside the patches themselves
> (I was loathe to do so, fearing the comments wouldn't be removed)?
> Or should I send email to somebody? (I've resisted the urge to send
> this to python-dev. Should I have?) Ideally there would be a more
> spacious comments/summary field on the submission form at
> SourceForge :>

I believe the standard practice is to post the patch and then
immediately follow up with a comment attached to the patch explaining
what it's for.  Yes, it would make sense if one could do this on the
form for patch submission.

waiting-for-roundup-ly y'rs
M.

--
  If you give someone Fortran, he has Fortran.
  If you give someone Lisp, he has any language he pleases.