Python, VC++, and Mingw32

kern at caltech.edu kern at caltech.edu
Thu Aug 10 21:13:48 EDT 2000

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:09:48 GMT, Hookflash <hookflash at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Doesn't it seem strange that Python, a free *open source* project,
>doesn't officially support any of the free win32 compilers?  For
>example, the source doesn't come with gnu makefiles that'll work under
>win32 (using Mingw32 or Cygwin), and the win32 binary dist comes with
>vc++ import libs!  Afaik, gcc is way more ansi-compliant than vc++, and
>it's not like python sources require vc++'s better win32/com support.

Well, you see, by the time Python was ported to Windows, mingw32
didn't even exist.  It was only fairly recently that mingw32 had
matured enough to build Python extension modules, even, much less
Python itself.

>Sure, you can get 1.5.2 import libs & headers that were ported to
>mingw32 by a kind soul who's name I don't recall,

Paul Sokolovsky.

>but imho Mingw32
>should be the *default* for Python + win32!  Anyways, that's just my 2
>cents...

The reason mingw32 build support isn't in at the moment is that Paul
and I have been busy with other things (as we were asked by Guido to
try to come up with mingw32 build support).  Paul's work on the
mingw32 port (not to be confused with the headers and library for
extensions) is available here in the form of diff's against Python
1.5.2:
http://www.is.lg.ua/~paul/devel/python-mingw32.zip

All right, dammit, you've shamed me into giving it a shot again.

:-)

>Jordan
>
>P.S. I wish to build Python (Stackless) under DOS using Djgpp... Is this
>possible?  Also, will I be able to use uthreads (In case you're
>wondering, I'm making a game with user-definable ai, using Djgpp +
>Allegro.  I am using DOS because the win32 port of Allegro doesn't work
>on my system).

Dunno.

--
Robert Kern