Python, VC++, and Mingw32

Hookflash hookflash at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 10 11:09:48 EDT 2000

Doesn't it seem strange that Python, a free *open source* project,
doesn't officially support any of the free win32 compilers?  For
example, the source doesn't come with gnu makefiles that'll work under
win32 (using Mingw32 or Cygwin), and the win32 binary dist comes with
vc++ import libs!  Afaik, gcc is way more ansi-compliant than vc++, and
it's not like python sources require vc++'s better win32/com support.
Sure, you can get 1.5.2 import libs & headers that were ported to
mingw32 by a kind soul who's name I don't recall, but imho Mingw32
should be the *default* for Python + win32!  Anyways, that's just my 2
cents...

Jordan

P.S. I wish to build Python (Stackless) under DOS using Djgpp... Is this
possible?  Also, will I be able to use uthreads (In case you're
wondering, I'm making a game with user-definable ai, using Djgpp +
Allegro.  I am using DOS because the win32 port of Allegro doesn't work
on my system).