[Python-Dev] backporting stdlib 2.7.x from pypy to cpython

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Jun 11 22:39:24 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2012, at 04:58 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
> >1. Asking on python-dev is considered adequate. If an implementation
> >wants to be consulted on changes, one or more of their developers
> >*must* follow python-dev sufficiently closely that they don't miss
> >cross-VM compatibility questions.
>
> That's certainly my preference.

Right, because it's easiest for you and everyone else who follows
python-dev already. =) But that doesn't improve the situation; those of us
who have needed to chat with the other VMs know the status quo is not an
optimal (or even decent) solution. I only pull anything off because I know
someone on every VM team and so I have email addresses and names. But that
shouldn't be a private email conversation, nor should it require that much
effort, especially if it requires pulling in someone from some other VM
team that I either don't know or didn't have a clue should be included in
the conversation.

> >(My concern is that this isn't
> >reliable - we know from experience that other VMs can miss such
> >questions when they're mixed in with the rest of the python-dev
> >traffic)
> >
> >2. As 1, but we adopt a subject line convention to make it easier to
> >filter out general python-dev traffic for those that are just
> >interested in cross-vm questions
>
> +1

But that then requires new people to the list learn about this "magical"
convention. We already know people don't always read the intro paragraph to
the mailing list to say this is for development *of* Python, why do you
think this will be any better? The anti-top-posting happens only because
everyone replies inline so people just naturally follow that. I don't see
people remembering to use the magical subject line consistently. This would
also be the first time one has to set up a special email filtering rule for
python-dev to get a result that people are expected to have available to
them.

> >As Brett pointed out, it's similar to the resurrection of import-sig -
> >we know that decisions aren't final until they're resolved on
> >python-dev, but it also means we're not flooding python-dev with
> >interminable arcane discussions on import system internals.
>
> I personally already ignore much of python-dev and only chime in on
> subjects I
> both care about and delude myself into thinking I have something useful to
> contribute.  For cases where I miss something and need to catch up, Gmane
> is
> perfect.

But your search area of interest is probably quite larger than that for
other VM implementers. Being into VMs and compatibility <> into language
design which the bulk of python-dev is about (and yes, I used that
not-equals operator just for you, Barry, to get the point across =).