[Python-Dev] backporting stdlib 2.7.x from pypy to cpython

fwierzbicki at gmail.com fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 05:13:53 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. Asking on python-dev is considered adequate. If an implementation
> wants to be consulted on changes, one or more of their developers
> *must* follow python-dev sufficiently closely that they don't miss
> cross-VM compatibility questions. (My concern is that this isn't
> reliable - we know from experience that other VMs can miss such
> questions when they're mixed in with the rest of the python-dev
> traffic)
> 2. As 1, but we adopt a subject line convention to make it easier to
> filter out general python-dev traffic for those that are just
> interested in cross-vm questions
> 3. Create a separate list for cross-VM discussions, *including*
> discussions that aren't directly relevant to Python-the-language or
> CPython-the-reference-interpreter (e.g. collaborating on a shared
> standard library fork). python-dev threads may be advertised on the
> new list if cross-VM feedback is considered particularly necessary.
(2) and (3) work for me - I try to do (1) but often miss discussions
until they have gone stale.

I bet (2) would work well enough as long as there are enough
interested participants to remember to add the conventional string to
the subject of an ongoing discussion. It would be very easy for me to
add a filter for such a string.

-Frank