[Python-Dev] Mercurial?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Apr 6 04:03:44 CEST 2009

After the private hell I've gone through the past few days stumbling around
Mercurial without really understanding what the hell I was doing, I strongly
recommend that when the conversion is complete that there is a "do it just
like you did it with svn" mode available.  Fortunately, this was just with
my little lockfile module, so the damage was very isolated.  (And perhaps
"damage" is the wrong word.  Someone more experienced with hg could almost
certainly correct my mistakes.)  I freely admit that my own misunderstanding
of how Mercurial works was the primary cause of my problems.  Still, until
people are real familiar with what is going on, especially people like me
who have little or no familiarity with dVCSs I think it's best to just treat
it like Subversion if at all possible.

Skip