[Python-Dev] Mercurial?

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Mon Apr 6 08:07:39 CEST 2009

Alexandre Vassalotti <alexandre <at> peadrop.com> writes:
> If I recall correctly, only ssh clients can request compression to the
> server—in other words, the server cannot forces the clients to use
> compression, but merely allow them use it.
>
> See the man page for sshd_config and ssh_config for the specific details.

So we'll explain how to configure that in the .hgrc/Mercurial.ini file that
people will have to create anyway.

Alternatively, we do it the way Mozilla has done and let everyone clone/pull
over http and push over ssh. Then everyone always gets compression for the big
clones/pulls, pushes are a little slower (but they aren't usually that large),
and people who don't have push access already have the right setup.

Cheers,

Dirkjan