[Python-Dev] Mercurial?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 5 20:36:42 CEST 2009

> For another, I'd like to use an author map to bring the revision authors
> more in line with what Mercurial repositories usually display; this
> helps with tool support and is also just a nicer solution IMO.

We do require full real names (i.e. no nicknames). Can Mercurial
guarantee such a thing?

> At the very least we should have a proper discussion over this.

If so, I would like to see that discussion in the PEP.

I don't think I can personally contribute to that discussion.
I will have to trust that whatever Mercurial experts propose is
good.

> The current Mercurial mirror for py3k also doesn't include any history
> from before it was branched, which is bad, IMO. In order to get the most
> of the DVCS structure, it would be helpful if py3k shared history with
> the normal (trunk) branches.

In the long run, the current trunk may cease to exist, and the py3k
branch may take over its role. Not sure whether this needs to be
considered.

>> Not really. Currently, core developers can only push stuff using the
>> Bazaar setup. Personally, I think SSH access would be a lot nicer, but
>> this will depend how confident python.org's admins are with this idea.

If it's the same as the current subversion access, it's fine. Otherwise,
it needs discussion.

> We could still enable pushing through http(s) for hgweb(dir).

But that would require to hand out (and manage) passwords, right?

Martin