[python-committers] python-committers is dead, long live discuss.python.org

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Sat Sep 29 19:59:56 EDT 2018

I just wanted to add that while I was not involved in the Discourse
discussions at the sprint (and didn't realise there were "discussions"
going on), and while I would have been opposed to such a drastic change,
my first impressions of discuss.python.org are good.

Things that I have configured to make it better for me:
* secure password and 2FA with an authenticator app
* my default landing page is "latest" not "categories"
* muted the categories I'm not interested in
* disabled direct messages (you can email me; if you don't know how,
then please don't email me :) )
* disabled email notifications, except the once per week when I haven't
logged in (we'll see whether I change that after a week...)

Things that I just like:
* like button, rather than +1 emails (and you can disable the
notifications for this)
* Ctrl+V to paste images into a message
* good mobile layout - doesn't try to do fancy stuff that fails on phones
* transitions between pages are smooth, and drafts are auto-saved (I
haven't really wanted more than one tab open yet)
* mentions (my email filtering rules prioritised the lists, so they
never came direct - but I should notice actual mentions more quickly now)

So I'm fairly happy to try it out for a while. I'm interested to see
whether it works better for PEP discussions (oh I want Google Wave back
so badly sometimes!) and if we can migrate things like the
buildbot-status list (one thread per configuration might be nice).

Not entirely comfortable with declaring the mailing list "dead" so
quickly, but I know for infrastructure stuff it's sometimes hard to get
community momentum without just doing it.

Cheers,
Steve