[python-committers] python-committers is dead, long live discuss.python.org

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Sep 29 14:18:46 EDT 2018

On 9/29/2018 4:51 AM, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> 29.09.18 03:45, Łukasz Langa пише:

 >> (To paraphrase) 'We' are switching committers-list to Discourse.

Who is this 'we'?  I don't remember any discussion, let alone a vote.

>>> On 28 Sep 2018, at 23:04, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you use NNTP? Like with IRC, you won't find the next generation of
>> core developers on it. And no, there is no support for it in Discourse.
>
> Yes, I do. I read all Python-related mailing list via the Gmane gate. It
> is convenient in case of large discussions, when I can read selected
> branches and ignore others. The great advantage of NNTP is that it
> provides access to past discussions. I can read Python-Dev discussions
> back from 1999.

Like Barry and Serhiy and perhaps others, I use gmane for all python
lists I follow with a gmane mirror.  At least with Thunderbird, I
generally find it far superior to to the list interface: each list/group
automatically goes is a separate directory; only subject lines are
auto-downloaded*; I can choose to only see unread subject lines; I can
set an auto-purge time.

* I now download and read less than half of python-list and
python-ideas.  When I am done with a batch, shift-C marks the rest as
'read' and therefore invisible unless I choose to see all unpurged articles.

When the gmane search page worked, it was much better than mailman's
month-by-month search.  Perhaps Discourse fixes this.

>> We could probably figure something out with Gmane if there's interest.

There definitely is, but ...

> Would be nice. It would be even better if provide the own NNTP gate and
> avoid depending on third-party services.

Agreed.