[python-committers] Timeline to vote for a governance PEP

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 15:34:53 EDT 2018

[Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org>]
> That's a complete strawman.  python-ideas is a failure, and it would be
> as much of a failure with a non-threaded discussion system.
> Yes, but why?  Because everyone really wants the governance discussions
> to succeed (and to succeed as soon as possible), so they make an extra
> effort to avoid derailing them.  Such self-discipline doesn't prevail
> for the more usual python-dev discussions (let alone python-ideas which
> is its own universe).  People are human beings, they get carried away,
> and I'm sure they will on Discourse too (unless they entirely refrain
> from posting because they can't stand the discussion system, that is).

This may be a clear demonstration of one way Discourse "works better":
 the "conversation" we're having here is really of little value to
anyone, including to us.  But because replies instantly show up in our
inboxes, we're seemingly compelled to keep it going.

I don't have "mailing list mode" turned on for discuss.python.org, so
there's been nothing nagging me to "reply or die" there.  If I don't
reply to something in my inbox almost at once, it will almost
certainly scroll off the list of messages I can see on the first Gmail
page within a day.  Discourse has been more like a reasoned discussion
than a hasty IRC chat room.  Which, sure, may change.

In any case, I'm done with _this_ discussion now - have the last word,
if you like :-)