[python-committers] Timeline to vote for a governance PEP

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Sat Nov 3 15:56:18 EDT 2018

Le 03/11/2018 à 20:34, Tim Peters a écrit :

> This may be a clear demonstration of one way Discourse "works better":
>  the "conversation" we're having here is really of little value to
> anyone, including to us.

How does Discourse "work better", exactly?  The long-winded discussion
on variants of voting systems (with close to 100 messages) isn't exactly
*important* except for voting system nerds.  The subthread you started
about the "3-2-1" system was of close to no value, since you admitted
yourself that that system is too young and immature to be chosen, and
you were only "planting a seed" (and probably enjoying yourself a bit in
the process).  Yet it seems Discourse didn't discourage you from doing
so.  Why?

Well, because people making tangents on topics they like to talk about
is irrelevant to the discussion system used (and your own behaviour
proves it).  The only way you can prevent tangents is by preventing
discussion altogether.

*However*, an important feature of a discussion system is to help
skipping tangents you're not interested about.  A threaded discussion
system makes it very easy to ignore a subthread.  Not so much where the
various subthreads are intermingled in a flat chronologic view.

Regards