[python-committers] Timeline to vote for a governance PEP

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Sat Nov 3 15:15:05 EDT 2018

Le 03/11/2018 à 20:07, Tim Peters a écrit :
> [Antoine]
>
> [Tim]
>>> There are two more fundamental problems with long and branchy
>>> discussions:  they're long, and they're branchy ;-)
>
> [Antoine]
>> But they are also unavoidable in any realistic setting.  The idea of
>> Discourse seems to discourage such discussions entirely.  But that only
>> works when the problems are simple and well-defined enough.
>
> If your idea of what "works" is the typical long-and-branchy
> contentious thread on Python-Ideas, we have incompatible views of what
> "works" means ;-)

That's a complete strawman.  python-ideas is a failure, and it would be
as much of a failure with a non-threaded discussion system.

> The "Python Governance Electoral System" thread is as long and branchy
> as a discussion has gotten there, but is more :"civilized" and
> on-topic than most mailing list threads of similar complexity I've
> seen in recent years.

Yes, but why?  Because everyone really wants the governance discussions
to succeed (and to succeed as soon as possible), so they make an extra
effort to avoid derailing them.  Such self-discipline doesn't prevail
for the more usual python-dev discussions (let alone python-ideas which
is its own universe).  People are human beings, they get carried away,
and I'm sure they will on Discourse too (unless they entirely refrain
from posting because they can't stand the discussion system, that is).

Regards