[python-committers] Spurious bugs.p.o messages

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 31 18:59:39 EDT 2017

On 3/31/2017 6:08 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 at 12:37 Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com
> <mailto:victor.stinner at gmail.com>> wrote:

>     <mailto:antoine at python.org>>:
>     > Just a heads up that the following PR:
>     > https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/552/files
>     > has generated a lot of spurious PR additions on bugs.python.org
>     <http://bugs.python.org>,
>     > probably because that PR references a lot of issues
>     > (example: https://bugs.python.org/issue23839).
>     >
>     > Perhaps it would be nice to have an upper limit on the number of
>     > notified issues when the PR mentions several of them?
>     >
>     > (I'm sure someone more active than me, such as Victor or Serhiy,
>     got *a
>     > lot* of notifications from that PR :-))
>
>     Hello, I got 110 emails, something goes wrong? :-)

Each link generated an email with a message like
"pull_requests: +994" but with a different number.

> No, it's a side-effect of having Misc/NEWS pasted as a comment into a PR
> and the Roundup webhook thinking the issues were comments that warranted
> connecting the PR with the issue.

I consider this wrong ;-).

>  Either we (a) don't worry about it as
> people typically don't paste Misc/NEWS into a comment, (b) cap the
> number of possible issues in a single webhook event, or (c) don't pick
> up issue numbers from comments and only do it from PR titles.

(c), at least until we discover that there is something that needs to
automated about numbers.

What I would like is that the BPO issue # in the PR title be a link so
it is easy to jump from PR to BPO.

--
Terry Jan Reedy