[python-committers] Spurious bugs.p.o messages

Ezio Melotti ezio.melotti at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 20:20:19 EDT 2017

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 3:59 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 3/31/2017 6:08 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 at 12:37 Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com
>> <mailto:victor.stinner at gmail.com>> wrote:

>>     <mailto:antoine at python.org>>:
>>     > Just a heads up that the following PR:
>>     > https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/552/files
>>     > has generated a lot of spurious PR additions on bugs.python.org
>>     <http://bugs.python.org>,
>>     > probably because that PR references a lot of issues
>>     > (example: https://bugs.python.org/issue23839).
>>     >
>>     > Perhaps it would be nice to have an upper limit on the number of
>>     > notified issues when the PR mentions several of them?
>>     >
>>     > (I'm sure someone more active than me, such as Victor or Serhiy,
>>     got *a
>>     > lot* of notifications from that PR :-))
>>
>>     Hello, I got 110 emails, something goes wrong? :-)
>

> Each link generated an email with a message like
> "pull_requests: +994" but with a different number.

The range should be from pull_request826 to pull_request1113.
I tried to unlink a PR from the admin but it still generated an email.
I'm not aware of any method to unlink them without generating emails,
so If you don't mind another wave of emails, I can write a script to
go through them and unlink them from the issues, otherwise I'll just
leave them there. (It might be possible removing them from the db
directly using SQL without generating emails, but I'd rather avoid
touching the db).

>> No, it's a side-effect of having Misc/NEWS pasted as a comment into a PR
>> and the Roundup webhook thinking the issues were comments that warranted
>> connecting the PR with the issue.
>

> I consider this wrong ;-).
>
>>  Either we (a) don't worry about it as
>> people typically don't paste Misc/NEWS into a comment, (b) cap the
>> number of possible issues in a single webhook event, or (c) don't pick
>> up issue numbers from comments and only do it from PR titles.

I think adding a limit makes sense: 10 issues should probably be
enough, even for meta-issues.
I already started working on a patch, but I'm still thinking what's
the best way to implement it (e.g. limit it to the title only, to
individual messages, to all messages, etc.).

> (c), at least until we discover that there is something that needs to
> automated about numbers.
>
> What I would like is that the BPO issue # in the PR title be a link so it is
> easy to jump from PR to BPO.

There are some discussion about it, I think on the core-workflow issue tracker.
I'm not up to date, but last time I looked into it the title couldn't
be changed, but it should be possible to use a bot to convert the
issues to links in the message body.  Berker also made a browser
extension[0] that can be used in the meanwhile.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti

[0]: https://github.com/berkerpeksag/cpython-bpo-linkify