[python-committers] Spurious bugs.p.o messages

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Mar 31 18:08:13 EDT 2017

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 at 12:37 Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Just a heads up that the following PR:
> > https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/552/files
> > has generated a lot of spurious PR additions on bugs.python.org,
> > probably because that PR references a lot of issues
> > (example: https://bugs.python.org/issue23839).
> >
> > Perhaps it would be nice to have an upper limit on the number of
> > notified issues when the PR mentions several of them?
> >
> > (I'm sure someone more active than me, such as Victor or Serhiy, got *a
> > lot* of notifications from that PR :-))
>
> Hello, I got 110 emails, something goes wrong? :-)

No, it's a side-effect of having Misc/NEWS pasted as a comment into a PR
and the Roundup webhook thinking the issues were comments that warranted
connecting the PR with the issue.  Either we (a) don't worry about it as
people typically don't paste Misc/NEWS into a comment, (b) cap the number
of possible issues in a single webhook event, or (c) don't pick up issue
numbers from comments and only do it from PR titles.