[python-committers] Some topics I have suggested for the language summit

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 16:47:18 CET 2014

Working across multiple projects has highlighted for me lately how much
unnecessary overhead we're currently dealing with in core development, and
how ineffective we are at delegating responsibility for parts of the docs
that aren't tied directly to the standard library and interpreter
implementation.

In particular, the "core reviewer" model in OpenStack makes substantially
more effective use of core developer time than our core committer model -
if I say a change looks good, it merges cleanly and passes the tests, why
do I need to do the last step manually? (While I don't work on OpenStack, I
work on QA tools for Red Hat. I'm considering deploying Zuul in particular,
since it's at the heart of being able to adopt a core reviewer model).

The other part is that I've suggested we invite the PSF's Outreach &
Education committee to the summit. There are some things we're currently
trying to run entirely from within the existing core dev team (like
maintenance of the tutorial and the howto guides) where that may not be the
most sensible model.

Forwarded to the committers list since there's no reason for these notions
to be secret, but please remember they're just that: notions. Turning them
into reality would require a lot of work, and we'd need to understand how
that was going to happen.

(Given point one above, we probably want some of the PSF infrastructure
team there as well)

Regards,
Nick.