[python-committers] Some topics I have suggested for the language summit

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 12 21:29:54 CET 2014

On 1/12/2014 10:47 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Working across multiple projects has highlighted for me lately how much
> unnecessary overhead we're currently dealing with in core development,
> and how ineffective we are at delegating responsibility for parts of the
> docs that aren't tied directly to the standard library and interpreter
> implementation.

As far as I know, we have not had any problems with people given
socially restricted commit privileges over-stepping the restrictions. I
think we should look* for people who would like /Doc/.../*.rst commit
privileges. Even in the Language and Library, such people could commit
typo and grammar changes and technical wording changes submitted or
approves by a code committer.

* As in post a notice to various python lists. There are multiple
non-committers who have posted articulately to python-list for years.
Perhaps a couple would be interested if they knew they would be welcome.
I would be willing to help people to get started (other than with .rst
markup).

I would note (to candidates) that doc-only commits are easier than
general commits. Since the doc tools run with installed python, one does
not have to do the extra setup needed to build Python itself. Simple
changes that do not involve .rst markup do not need testing. Markup
changes can be tested on the local machine; there in no need to monitor
buildbots. If a News entry in needed (and I think not for spelling and
grammar changes), it goes into separate section with a low rate of entry
and hence a low rate merge conflicts.