[python-committers] Commit right for Vajrasky Kok?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 02:45:07 CET 2014

Hi,

2014/1/21 Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us>:
>> Has anyone communicated with him, perhaps privately, on how to improve his
>> patches, so he learns by doing it himself?

I contacted him before proposing to give him the commit access.

I then told him that he should just continue his contributions to
reach the requested quality level of the Python project. He replied
that it's hard to find easy issues and that Serhiy fixes most of them.
Vajrasky prefers to hurry to propose a buggy patch, just to be the
first one, instead of seen the issue stolen from Serhiy.

I experimented the difficult task of finding "easy" issues. I agree
that it's a very hard task. Recent easy issues are closed in less than
one week, sometimes in 24 hours. Old issues are usually hard, specific
to an user or platform, tricky to implement, etc.

There is maybe something wrong in our process about easy issues?

Obviously, I asked asked Vajrasky to contact Serhiy to stop this race.

> I have not, but am willing to if Victor would not be offended.  I don't feel
> up to being an official mentor as the machinery and protocols are still new
> to me, but I think I could offer sound advice on how to improve his patch
> and debugging skills.

Oh please, do :-) I'm not offended. Or exchanges may be "public" in
the mentor mailing list? As Vajrasky prefers.

Victor