[Python-authors] upcoming themes in Python Magazine

Brandon Craig Rhodes brandon at rhodesmill.org
Fri Jan 22 06:17:45 CET 2010

Intrepid Python authors -

Hey!  I'm Brandon, the Editor-in-Chief of Python Magazine.

New this year, each month of Python Magazine will feature a theme.
While this will not prevent us from having articles about lots of
different topics in each issue, it will guide us in clustering a few of
our big feature articles around a single topic.

And, more importantly, it will give you - as a potential author - ideas
about what to write about.  Too often, folks with good writing potential
bog down on the question of what Python topic, among the many available,
they should write about.  The issue topics are each designed to spark
your interest and induce you to send me a proposal (just hit "reply"!)
about what you might want to write about!

To write for the February issue, since it's almost February, you would
have to propose and write a 4,000 word article in about a week.  Feel
free to suggest something for February if you dare!  But, most of you
will want to think about March, April, and later months, reading over
each topic and thinking:

 - "Which of my recent experiences would be fun to share, and would
    teach other Python programmers something interesting?"

 - "What's a technology that I have wanted to spend a bit more time
    getting, that writing a short article would give me an excuse (and
    incentive) to get to know better?"

Without further ado, then, here the topics that I am planning for Python
Magazine for the rest of 2010:

     * February: Web Frameworks
     * March: Games and Graphics
     * April: Writing Pythonic Code
     * May: Networks and Protocols
     * June: Scientific Computing
     * July: Robots and Peripherals
     * August: Tests and Testing Frameworks
     * September: Mashups and Web APIs
     * October: Database Programming
     * November: System Administration
     * December: Python Implementations

Oh, and in case any of you are subscribers: we almost have the January
issue of Python Magazine ready for release!  Because of budgetary
problems, the magazine will henceforth be a PDF-only periodical that you
download each month from the web site; and, as part of the transition,
the web site is in the middle of being re-done by the publisher and is,
last I checked, a bare page.  This should be replaced with a real web
site in the next few days, and hopefully the appearance of the January
issue will demonstrate that the publication is back on its feet.