[py-dev] Re: [py-svn] r10665 - in py/branch/py-collect: . test test/terminal test/testing

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at orbtech.com
Sat Apr 16 17:55:32 CEST 2005

holger krekel wrote:

> The thing is that i am pretty sure that execnet needs to support
> send/receive of (at least) simple objects.  But maybe we should first
> try have a "pickle"-layer on top of channels because we want to
> assume anyway that the classes and the import structure are
> equivalent on the local and the remote side. With such an
> assumption we can probably send instances over the channel
> via pickle.

Sometimes you don't want to have to have equivalent import structures on
the remote side, or you don't want to be limited by Python's import
mechanisms, or you don't even want the class definitions to exist as
physical files on the remote side.  We've run into all these situations
with Schevo.  So I'd love to collaborate on solutions that would work
for everyone, assuming there is an interest in such things.

We have some code in Schevo that might be worth looking at.  Feel free
to take any ideas that look worthwhile.  Here are some good starting
points for code that we have that deals with this issue:

http://svn.orbtech.com/cgi-bin/schevo.cgi/file/trunk/schevo/module.py

http://svn.orbtech.com/cgi-bin/schevo.cgi/browser/trunk/schevo/schema/

--
Patrick K. O'Brien