[Pygui] signals and slots

Mark Summerfield list at qtrac.plus.com
Wed Dec 2 09:52:13 CET 2009

On 2009-12-01, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Mark Summerfield wrote:
> > it is a real pain
> > (in wx) that some of the widgets are platform-specific, so you can't
> > guarantee uniform functionality.
>
> I'm very mindful of that problem, and I'm trying hard to
> ensure that all of the features PyGUI promises work acceptably
> well on all platforms.
>
> If something is missing on a platform, and I can fill it in
> reasonably easily with Python code, then I'm doing that. If
> it would require too much effort, sometimes I just have to
> leave things out.

That sounds good.

> > Using the
> > underlying widgets will give you a fast track to having something that
> > works
>
> You make it sound like a cheap shortcut, but it's much more
> than that. Using platform widgets means you get exact platform
> appearance and behaviour, without missing any subtleties --
> and it *stays* that way even if the platform changes.

Yep.

> Also it's
> much more efficient that recreating everything in Python would
> be.

Not convinced by that at all---but then, you're the one writing it:-)

> > I hope you'll (1) provide a
> > mechanism for creating custom widgets (with full control over both
> > appearance and behaviour)
>
> Already done. You can create completely custom widgets in
> pure Python. Just subclass View and do whatever you want
> with it.

OK, that sounds really good! (I think I must have been looking at an
older version, I can now see that you've done a _huge_ amount of work
since then.)

> > I'm not really sure why (apart from the fun of it:-) you want to build
> > another Python GUI
>
> My reasons are listed on the project page, and they still stand.
> I want to be able to distribute apps that can be used without
> having to install any large third-party libraries. Think of it
> as a modern-day replacement for Tkinter, designed to fill the
> same niche.

I really like your project aims---they are exactly what I was looking
for years ago and the nearest I could find was PyQt which I think is
superb, but isn't "native Python" in the way you're aiming for. A truly
Pythonic replacement for Tkinter that's part of the standard library
would be wonderful.

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd, www.qtrac.eu
    C++, Python, Qt, PyQt - training and consultancy