[Pygui] signals and slots

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Dec 2 00:57:14 CET 2009

Mark Summerfield wrote:

> it is a real pain
> (in wx) that some of the widgets are platform-specific, so you can't
> guarantee uniform functionality.

I'm very mindful of that problem, and I'm trying hard to
ensure that all of the features PyGUI promises work acceptably
well on all platforms.

If something is missing on a platform, and I can fill it in
reasonably easily with Python code, then I'm doing that. If
it would require too much effort, sometimes I just have to
leave things out.

> Using the
> underlying widgets will give you a fast track to having something that
> works

You make it sound like a cheap shortcut, but it's much more
than that. Using platform widgets means you get exact platform
appearance and behaviour, without missing any subtleties --
and it *stays* that way even if the platform changes. Also it's
much more efficient that recreating everything in Python would
be.

> I hope you'll (1) provide a
> mechanism for creating custom widgets (with full control over both
> appearance and behaviour)

Already done. You can create completely custom widgets in
pure Python. Just subclass View and do whatever you want
with it.

> I'm not really sure why (apart from the fun of it:-) you want to build
> another Python GUI

My reasons are listed on the project page, and they still stand.
I want to be able to distribute apps that can be used without
having to install any large third-party libraries. Think of it
as a modern-day replacement for Tkinter, designed to fill the
same niche.

--
Greg