[Pandas-dev] Unit test reorganization

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 21:06:56 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Wes McKinney <wesmckinn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Big #1 question is, how strongly do you feel about *shipping* the test
> suite in site-packages? Some other libraries with sprawling and
> complex test suites have chosen not to ship them:
> https://github.com/zzzeek/sqlalchemy

I would prefer to include the test suite if possible, because the ability
to type "nosetests pandas" makes it easy both for users to verify
installations are working properly and for downstream distributors to
identify and report bugs. The complete pandas test suite still runs in
20-30 minutes, so I think it's still fairly reasonable to use it for these
purposes.

> Independently, I would support and help with starting a judicious
> reorganization of the contents of pandas/tests. So I'm thinking like
>
> tests/
>     dataframe/
>     series/
>     algorithms/
>     internals/
>     tseries/
>
> and so forth.

This sounds like a great idea -- these files have really gotten out of
control!

Cheers,
Stephan