[Pandas-dev] Unit test reorganization

Wes McKinney wesmckinn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 11:47:47 EST 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 5:34 PM, Wes McKinney <wesmckinn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Big #1 question is, how strongly do you feel about *shipping* the test
>> suite in site-packages? Some other libraries with sprawling and
>> complex test suites have chosen not to ship them:
>> https://github.com/zzzeek/sqlalchemy
>

> I would prefer to include the test suite if possible, because the ability to
> type "nosetests pandas" makes it easy both for users to verify installations
> are working properly and for downstream distributors to identify and report
> bugs. The complete pandas test suite still runs in 20-30 minutes, so I think
> it's still fairly reasonable to use it for these purposes.

Got it. I wasn't sure if this was something people still wanted to do
in practice with the burgeoning test suite.

>> Independently, I would support and help with starting a judicious
>> reorganization of the contents of pandas/tests. So I'm thinking like
>>
>> tests/
>>     dataframe/
>>     series/
>>     algorithms/
>>     internals/
>>     tseries/
>>
>> and so forth.
>

> This sounds like a great idea -- these files have really gotten out of
> control!

Sounds good. I've been sorting through points of contact between
Series/DataFrame's implementation and internal matters (e.g. the
BlockManager) and figured it would be good to "quarantine" code that
makes assumptions about what's under the hood. I'll get the first
couple patches started and it can be a slow burn to break apart these
large files.