[Numpy-discussion] Request for porting pycdf to NumPy

Jeff Whitaker jswhit at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 9 14:31:31 EST 2007

Eric Firing wrote:
> I have been using Jeff Whitaker's netcdf4 interface with good results.
>
> I could not find the web page for it on a NOAA site--I think NOAA is
> reorganizing--but a search turned it up here.  Maybe Jeff can provide
> a better link.
>
> http://netcdf4-python.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/docs/netCDF4-module.html
>
> Eric

Eric:

Yep, that's a link to the docs from the google code homepage

http://code.google.com/p/netcdf4-python/

AFAIK, this is the only one of the python interfaces that supports both
the netcdf version 3 API and the new (still in alpha) version 4 API,
which is built on top of HDF5.

As far as getting unidata to support  or bless an 'official' python
interface, that's not going to happen.  They barely have enough staff to
support the C, fortran and Java interfaces.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD  R/PSD1        Email  : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker at noaa.gov
325 Broadway                Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-124
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web    : http://tinyurl.com/5telg