[Numpy-discussion] Request for porting pycdf to NumPy

Rob Hetland hetland at tamu.edu
Fri Feb 9 14:35:27 EST 2007

+1 for Whitaker's package.

The new location of the package is:

http://code.google.com/p/netcdf4-python/

I use netcdf for everything I do, and so I checked out all of the
packages in detail.  All follow a similar API, although there are
very minor differences that will catch you if you are not careful
(like writing a single character).

Although this is (austensibly) made for netcdf4, Whitaker's package
works well both reading and writing netcdf3 files.  It also has
support for stitching together multiple files.  It also has support
for compression of numpy4 data (as well as all of the other cool
netcdf4 features).  The only disadvantage is that netcdf4 is a bit
harder to install than netcdf3 -- primarily because the user must
first install hdf.  However, recent versions work fine on all the
platforms I use (Mac and Redhat).

Clearly this is the way to go.

-Rob