[Microbit-Python] Differences between BBC: microbit and pyboard

Carlos P.A. carlos.p.a.87 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 08:06:08 EDT 2016

The hex file you've downloaded from the website packs micropython together
with your script file. Admittedly it's not the latest version, as it is
missing things like the radio and voice modules, but it has REPL access.

If you want to use the latest version of micropython you don't have to
compile it from source, the flash utility uflash and the code editor Mu
contain it already :
https://github.com/ntoll/uflash
https://github.com/ntoll/mu

I'm on mobile, so I cannot easily check online, but I was under the
impression that the README contains all required packages, there is also an
issue in the github repository that had more detailed steps for debian
(which should be transferable), and you could also check the "compiler
install scrip" I put together a little while ago for
https://github.com/carlosperate/microbit-dev-env .

Other than that the error is not very explicit, is that all it printed
about it? Could you copy the entire output in a file and post it?

On 7 Aug 2016 12:40, "hot.toast via Microbit" <microbit at python.org> wrote:

> I'm getting confused over the differences between running micropython on
the pyboard and on the BBC:microbit.

> I have been playing with the  pyboard for a number of months and have a
reasonable understanding of how to use micropython on that platform. But it
is my current belief that the BBC:microbit does not ship with a python
interpreter and that I have to roll my own using yotta and copy the
resultant hex file to the microbit before i can get a REPL prompt .

> 1. Is that belief correct? (I don't seem to have to  load the firmware
using DFU like on the pyboard)

> 2. I have successfully complied basic micropython to a .hex file using
the web interface and got this running on my microbit, so I know the board
is working correctly.

> 3. I have tried to follow the instructions on
https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython/README.md. using a Linux Mint
17.3 system but when I get to "yt build" (or make all) I get the following
error

> [102/291] Building CXX object
ym/ble-nrf51822/source/CMakeFiles/ble-nrf51822.dir/adsafdas/micropython-master/yotta_modules/ble-nrf51822/source/nRF5xn.cpp.o