[Microbit-Python] Differences between BBC: microbit and pyboard

hot.toast hot.toast at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 7 07:38:41 EDT 2016

I'm getting confused over the differences between running micropython on
the pyboard and on the BBC:microbit.

I have been playing with the  pyboard for a number of months and have a
reasonable understanding of how to use micropython on that platform. But
it is my current belief that the BBC:microbit does not ship with a
python interpreter and that I have to roll my own using yotta and copy
the resultant hex file to the microbit before i can get a REPL prompt .

1. Is that belief correct? (I don't seem to have to  load the firmware
using DFU like on the pyboard)

2. I have successfully complied basic micropython to a .hex file using
the web interface and got this running on my microbit, so I know the
board is working correctly.

3. I have tried to follow the instructions on
https://github.com/bbcmicrobit/micropython/README.md. using a Linux Mint
17.3 system but when I get to "yt build" (or make all) I get the
following error

[102/291] Building CXX object
ym/ble-nrf51822/source/CMakeFiles/ble-nrf51822.dir/adsafdas/micropython-master/yotta_modules/ble-nrf51822/source/nRF5xn.cpp.o
error: command ['ninja'] failed

Any ideas where to go next?