[Idle-dev] I18n of IDLE's interface ?

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu
Thu Apr 18 11:28:20 CEST 2013

Terry Jan Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> On 4/17/2013 4:54 PM, Terry Jan Reedy wrote:
> [snip]
>> Looking at the patch at http://bugs.python.org/issue17776
> [snip]
> This patch appears to solve the chicken and egg problem* by providing an
> initial egg. (It is useless to add Il8n facility if there are no
> translation files to use it. It is useless to write a translation file
> if the is no facility to use it.) I thought about it and posted a fairly
> long review with questions. My conclusion is this:
>
> "Perhaps there should be an IdleIl8n project on PyPI. In fact, such a
> project could be done without 'official' cooperation. If indeed there is
> no such project, I would wonder whether such absence indicates an
> absence of need. Or is it knowledge of how? Testing something as a 3rd
> party distribution and getting community acceptance is one normal way
> for things to get added to the stdlib."

I'm not so sure I get your point, but usually, things proceed as such in
all FLOSS projects I know about that use the gettext standard : the core
devs replace plaing strings by their _("...") counterparts, and let
contributors (translators, sometimes organized in teams), provide the
translations for these, as .po files. There may also at times be the
need for a translation manager [0] coordinating contributions of
translators who may not be tech-savvy.

Then the compiled .mo files are distributed in the archive by the devs,
with some freeze periods before releases, that provide time for
translators to update the message translations up to the state of the
source.

This is fairly usual, and without knowledge of the Python or IDLE
dev/release process, I don't really see why such a common process
couldn't apply here.

> This list would be an appropriate place to discuss such a project, at
> least for now, should Olivier and anyone else wish to pursue it.

In any case, to avoid duplication, I hereby volunteer for providing an
initial fr.po file, once the patch adding the _("") will have been
finalized (coordinated through http://bugs.python.org/issue17776 ?).

Best regards,

[0] http://producingoss.com/en/share-management.html#translation-manager
--