[Idle-dev] I18n of IDLE's interface ?

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 18 05:18:35 CEST 2013

On 4/17/2013 4:54 PM, Terry Jan Reedy wrote:
[snip]
> Looking at the patch at http://bugs.python.org/issue17776
[snip]
This patch appears to solve the chicken and egg problem* by providing an
initial egg. (It is useless to add Il8n facility if there are no
translation files to use it. It is useless to write a translation file
if the is no facility to use it.) I thought about it and posted a fairly
long review with questions. My conclusion is this:

"Perhaps there should be an IdleIl8n project on PyPI. In fact, such a
project could be done without 'official' cooperation. If indeed there is
no such project, I would wonder whether such absence indicates an
absence of need. Or is it knowledge of how? Testing something as a 3rd
party distribution and getting community acceptance is one normal way
for things to get added to the stdlib."

This list would be an appropriate place to discuss such a project, at
least for now, should Olivier and anyone else wish to pursue it.

--
Terry Jan Reedy