[Idle-dev] I18n of IDLE's interface ?

Damien damienlog at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 13:30:51 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm Damien MARIE, the patch author of http://bugs.python.org/issue17776

I think adding _(..) add a negligeable overhead on the code but a practical
enchancement for many reasons : teaching kids and language consistency for
the user mainly.

The translation files aren't in the idle dir, but in a special local dir of
the user (see gettext doc).

Also I've add (but it's not in this patch) an option in idle config to
disable i18n (for unit-testing for example or to overhead the system
locale) but also to make it a disabled setting by default until the
translation environment is mature.

Should I add this setting to the config dialog ? ("Enable localisation" for
example).

I think I will just translate the menu, the context menu and the dialogs
for now. (except some dialog like the About Dialog). Anyway, you will see
that in my patch.

Damien