[Doc-SIG] Creating howto directory in Python CVS

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Mon Aug 29 22:56:48 CEST 2005

In a message of Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:03:39 EDT, "Fred L. Drake, Jr." writes:
>On Monday 29 August 2005 13:38, Laura Creighton wrote:
> > I had a small problem with reg-exp how to the other day.
> > what decided me against report it to amk was the idea that I didn't
> > want to bother him personally about a personal page.  If they were
> > on python.org I would have sent my 'wish you had explained this
> > better' bit and my example of how to for sure.
>
>Good point.  I suspect many people would rather complain to an "anonymous
>"
>address or issue collector.  Being able to report problems in the Python
>collector or to the docs at python.org address might help gather suggesti
>ons
>and error reports.
>

>  -Fred
>
>--
>Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>

By the way, my use case was 'having split your thing nicely up into
6 named groups, how do you write them out again as the same groups
in a different order'

Ie take a file:

dog animal bites
fish animal doesn't
book object doesn't

and turn it into:

an animal that bites is a dog
an animal that doesn't bite is a fish
an object that doesn't bite is a book

I actually was stuffing docstrings from python2.4 into Pypy.  :-)

There must be a way to do this which deosn't involve assigning to
python variables, but i never found it in time.  But after futzing
around a bunch, i concluded that the regexp how to was short on
how to actually batch precess a file making a set of substutions based
on the matches you found.

Which I wish I knew how to do better.

thanks all,
Laura