[Doc-SIG] Creating howto directory in Python CVS

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Aug 29 15:28:07 CEST 2005

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 11:26:14PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> I'm fine with this, but we should probably figure out a better way to deal
> with publishing them.  Using SourceForge for this hasn't been the most
> successful spot, I suspect.

Actually they're on amk.ca now.  People find them pretty well -- type
"regular expression" into Google and the HOWTO is the top hit; it's
the second hit for "regular expressions".  I'd have no objection to
moving them to python.org hosting, but no pressing desire to do so.

My motivations:
	* it would be nice to have more people scanning the edits I make.
	* Python CVS would be more visible to people making translations.
	  (People occasionally send me e-mails asking for the LaTeX source.)

> exposure.  Perhaps there should be a directory like Doc/howtos/, and the
> documentation index for distributed docs would include a link to a secondary
> index that exposes those documents.  There could then be a link there to the
> "latest version" of the howto docs published on python.org.

One complication: I'm writing new HOWTOs in ReST, though the older
ones are still in LaTeX.  This would introduce a new requirement to
the documentation toolchain; it might be easier to put them in
nondist/ and not the main docs.  But I'll defer to you; where would
you like me to create a howto/ directory?

--amk