[Doc-SIG] Creating howto directory in Python CVS

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Mon Aug 29 19:30:02 CEST 2005

On Monday 29 August 2005 09:28, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
 > Actually they're on amk.ca now.  People find them pretty well -- type
 > "regular expression" into Google and the HOWTO is the top hit; it's
 > the second hit for "regular expressions".  I'd have no objection to
 > moving them to python.org hosting, but no pressing desire to do so.

Ok, that's really an unrelated issue anyway.  If people find them without
problems, there's no need to change it and break links.

 > My motivations:
 >  * it would be nice to have more people scanning the edits I make.
 >  * Python CVS would be more visible to people making translations.
 >    (People occasionally send me e-mails asking for the LaTeX source.)

Both would be nice, indeed.

 > One complication: I'm writing new HOWTOs in ReST, though the older
 > ones are still in LaTeX.  This would introduce a new requirement to
 > the documentation toolchain; it might be easier to put them in
 > nondist/ and not the main docs.  But I'll defer to you; where would
 > you like me to create a howto/ directory?

It's only a requirement if we actually format them using the existing
toolchain.  :-)  It is something to keep in mind.

How about this:  Create Doc/howto/ as part of the main checkout, so the howtos
come along with the rest of the docs.  This addresses your motivations,
regardless of how the howtos get formatted or published.  We can deal with
toolchain issues as time allows.  It's likely we'd add the LaTeX documents to
the build early, and the ReST docs once the toolchain grows the necessary
bits.

I think this would work out just fine for Python and the docs.

I note that for the "What's New" document you like to retain authorship rather
than succumb to group maintenance.  I'd like that not to be the case for the
howtos, especially since the starting documents come from a variety of
contributors.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>