[Doc-SIG] Re: Doc-SIG digest, Vol 1 #271 - 2 msgs

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:44:32 -0000

Ken Manheimer wrote:
> (I believe ST has a nice, solid place in our ongoing plans,
> by the way. Zope will probably go to storing textish documents
> in neutral, DOMish data structures, with the option to present
> as ST, among other options, for editing, etc.)

Of course, STNG and STpy both produce DOM trees (more or less) - so
there is always the option of writing ST<whatever> outputters, and
translating via DOM tree manipulations (excuse me - I'll go off in a
corner and gibber quietly now).

More seriously, I would be *very* interested to see more feedback
(somewhere - to Edward Loper seems an obvious route) between the
different ST developers, especially with explanations of *why*
particular choices are made (accident, of course, being a useful one!)

> But tony, those pages are in a wiki precisely to
> enable the kind of thing you're suggesting!  Bravo!

The problem with the Wiki is that it requires a significant investment
of "mind space" to use it - both for monitoring it, and for working out
what one should to to amend it so that the results one want become more
likely. It's a heck of a lot easier to dump stuff onto a mailing list...

(of course, that *may* be a reason for using a Wiki!)

Anyway, it's good to see the Doc-SIG with new participants, and all this
new terminology is fun too (and STminus may yet be one of the more
significant things the Doc-SIG has done).

"Bounce with the bunny. Strut with the duck.
 Spin with the chickens now - CLUCK CLUCK CLUCK!"
BARNYARD DANCE! by Sandra Boynton