[Doc-SIG] Re: Doc-SIG digest, Vol 1 #271 - 2 msgs

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 19:40:39 -0500 (EST)

> To: doc-sig@python.org
> Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:08:13 EST
> From: "Edward D. Loper" <edloper@gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
> Subject: [Doc-SIG] Formalizing StructuredText
>
> I've started working on a project to formalize StructuredText (in
> particular, STNG and STpy).  I am using a slightly extended
> version of EBNF to write the formal descriptions.  See the project
> proposal for more information:
>     http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~edloper/pydoc/stminus.html
>
> A preliminary formalization is available at:
>     http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~edloper/pydoc/stminus-001.html
>
> I would appreciate any feedback. :)

Most excellent!!  There's been some recent dialogue within digital
creations pro and con ST, and i think one indisputable objection was ST's
lack of a clear specification - this is just what the doctor ordered!
Not only does it address the problem - it is also very encouraging to see
energy being invested from outside the company, in this and tony's
efforts.

(I believe ST has a nice, solid place in our ongoing plans, by the way.
Zope will probably go to storing textish documents in neutral, DOMish data
structures, with the option to present as ST, among other options, for
editing, etc.)

> - I've added a reference to STminus at the end of the page. It might be
> an idea to get a Zope Wiki account (if you don't already have one) and
> add a reference somewhere further up the hierarchy as well - I don't
> know if Jim Fulton and co. have the time or inclination to watch the
> Doc-SIG...

Some of us do in a sketchy fashion.  (I subscribe via digest, and
sometimes miss issues.)  But tony, those pages are in a wiki precisely to
enable the kind of thing you're suggesting!  Bravo!

Ken
klm@digicool.com