[DOC-SIG] Re: [STRING-SIG] More saxlib

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 10:42:54 -0500

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> The URL is still
> <URL:http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~larsga/download/python/xml/>

I've looked at SaxLib and it seems like a very straightforward (and thus
elegant) transliteration of the Java version. Your extensions seem quite
appropriate. I propose that we "bless" this as the "standard" Python sax
interface and call it Sax.py version 0.9. As we get more experience and
are confident there are no bugs, we can promote it to version 1.0.

>      And as I'll have to start using the C module eventually: pointers
>      to clues on how to do it would be appreciated. :)

It really wasn't hard. I was worried that it would be painful the first
time I did it, but it turns out to be trivial, because of the great
design of the build system. Just look in the "modules" directory.
Essentially you copy the module in, add a line to the setup file and
recompile!

"You have the wrong number."
"Eh? Isn't that the Odeon?"
"No, this is the Great Theater of Life. Admission is free, but the
taxation is mortal. You come when you can, and leave when you must. The
show is continuous. Good-night." -- Robertson Davies, "The Cunning Man"