[DOC-SIG] Postscript vs. PDF

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:43:34 -0500

OK, it seems that I should provide HTML, PostScript and PDF.  I don't
mind using extra disk space on python.org (though some mirror sites
might?), but I do mind the work involved in creating all the different
distributions (I don't believe that this can be fully automated --
enough things change between distributions that the automation would
have to be changed each time...)

So I propose the following set of distributions:

    - Full source distribution, containing C source, Latex doc source, and
    the standard library

    - Small source distribution, containing C source and the standard library

    - HTML distribution

    - PostScript distribution

    - PDF distribution

    - Platform specific Unix binary distributions; these don't include
    HTML nor the standard library, only the python binary and dynamically
    loaded extensions (if applicable)

    - Addeddum for platform specific Unix binary distributions, containing
    the standard library and the HTML docs

BTW I believe that in order to create PDF one normally needs to buy an
Adobe program.  Is there a free alternative?